Sunday, April 11, 2010

Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon: The End!

1. Which hour was most daunting for you?  
Hour 17 because I fell asleep. I totally thought I could hold out longer than that.

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
Manga, graphic novels, picture books, short chapter books. I was too ambitious and neglected much of my graphic novel pile in favor of books I was currently reading. Bad decision. 

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
I liked the variety of challenges and the hourly updates, so no. :)

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
See above. Oh, and I really appreciated my cheerleaders' support!

5. How many books did you read?
2 finished, 3 in progress

6. What were the names of the books you read?
Finished:
Blankets by Craig Thompson
The Dream Stealer by Sid Fleischman

In Progress:
The Magicians by Lev Grossman
Jinx by Meg Cabot
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by David Levithan & John Green 

7. Which book did you enjoy most?
Blankets!!!

8. Which did you enjoy least?
The Magicians really wasn't holding my attention, but that's my fault because it's really not a readathon-type book. This is one that I read slowly and deliberately with frequent breaks. Definitely should have left it for another day.

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
I wasn't.

10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
I'd be willing to try it again as a Reader. I think I have a little more insight as to what makes a successful reading day now. Some things only experience can teach, I suppose. 

TOTALS: 
Hours spent reading: 10 hours

Pages read: about 930 (including audiobook estimate)

Final thoughts?
What a day! I think I unnecessarily stressed myself out and put too much pressure on myself to read books I wasn't really feeling at the moment, but I know better for next time. I'm glad that I got to spend so much time outdoors because I would have been pretty grumpy cooped up in the house all day. I'm sure that I have spent more time reading in a single day of my own volition before, but the act of reading as a community was fun and exciting. For my first readathon, I think I did just fine. 

In other news, my Unsung YA Giveaway ends tomorrow night at 12am CST, but I won't be announcing winners until sometime Wednesday. Reviews will trickle in towards the end of the week, as I'll be out of town tomorrow and Tuesday. 

Happy Sunday!

Natalie

1 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

Yep, I learned to read short, fast paced books from experience!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 This Purple Crayon. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemesfree