Monday, March 1, 2010

March Monday - What are you reading?

It's Monday! What are you reading?It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila at One Persons Journey through a world of Books.

It's a way to highlight books read in the past week and books waiting to be read this week.


Read last week:
 The Bride's Farewell by Meg Rosoff
The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Amulet: The Stonekeeper by Kazu Kibuishi

I also put up a Reading Recap post yesterday, which I'll be doing monthly in order to remember books read, choose a favorite, update challenge progress, and tally page numbers. Check it out!

Currently reading:
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Later this week:
I'm pretty embarrassed that Going Bovine by Libba Bray (2010 Printz Award Winner!) has been sitting on my to-read pile for months - months! And I keep trying to motivate myself to read it, but if you know anything about me, you know that I am very reluctant to read anything over 400 pages. It's not a philosophy or personal belief in any way - it's fear. Unexplainable, unjustified, ridiculous fear. "Chunksters" (as I've heard them called) intimidate me as a reader because they require so much of my attention. I like to finish a book in a day or two, and that's not always possible with these big books. But I will persevere - all it takes is a chapter or two, and I know that I will love this book like so many others have. Even looking at it now, how do you not get hooked with a first line like this?
The best day of my life happened when I was five and almost died at Disney World.
So, that's it for me this week. How about you? Any books on your to-read pile intimidating you?
Natalie

8 comments:

Curling up by the Fire said...

It's twice now that I've picked up Bride's Farewell off the shelf and put it back. I will definitely read it now though, after reading your review.

Have a great week!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

The Eyre Affair looks interesting! I can't remember what I've heard about Going Bovine, but I'm sure it was fascinating stuff.

Have a great week.

susan said...

I'm impatient. I really have to want to read something to read 400 pages. And I feel guilty for not reading Going Bovine. Should I confess I'm just lazy?

The1stdaughter said...

I have wanted to read Going Bovine for a while now and just haven't. Ugh. I'll see what you have to say in your review and go from there!

Have a fabulous reading week!

NatalieSap said...

Stephanie - The Bride's Farewell seems to be many Rosoff fans' least favorite, but I liked it quite a bit. It's one you really have to get into to enjoy.

Laurel - The Eyre Affair is so weird; it almost reminds me of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Hah! And I've heard that Going Bovine is quite strange as well. It's just going to be that kind of week, I suppose!

Susan - I tell myself I'm lazy every day. Doesn't make me any less lazy though!

The1stdaughter - Uh oh, that means I need to stop putting it off too! I'm really hoping that this is the week...

Anonymous said...

I'm still putting off reading "Going Bovine!" I've had it for months and months and just cannot convince myself to pick it up! Hopefully, your review will help change that if you get around to reading it...haha.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

An Eyre Affair sounds like a good one! Enjoy your weekend!

Elisabeth Marie said...

I hadn't realized the first line of the book had to do with Disney! I'll have to be sure to read it now! :P

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 This Purple Crayon. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemesfree