Saturday, January 30, 2010

Fahrenheit 451 adapted by Tim Hamilton

Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451: The Authorized AdaptationRay Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451: The Authorized Adaptation by Tim Hamilton
published July 2009 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux
160 pages (paperback), YA

I loved this graphic novel but dread writing this review.

This adaptation stayed very true to Bradbury's original. Obviously, the text is sparse, but the story still flows rather well. And really, the artwork stands out in this book. But artwork is not something I know how to evaluate! It reminded me very much of Ex Machina, a series that I devoured last summer. The blues and greys and greens dominate most spreads, except for the fire scenes in bright oranges, reds and yellows. The mood of the story comes directly from color choice and the dark, shadowy figures, which is what attracted me the most about this graphic novel. Second would be passage choice - I don't know how much of the text comes directly from Bradbury's original, but it definitely evokes the same tone and style. I also enjoyed the introduction by Bradbury, where he describes his experiences of letting inspiration flow and stories evolve in their own time.

Graphic Novels Mini Challenge
I think fans of the original will appreciate this adaptation, but moreso, this graphic novel makes the classic accessible to those who would not normally read it. Reluctant readers, yes. But also superhero comic fans, as the style is somewhat similar. It can be a gateway to reading Bradbury's original, or even stand alone. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to most high school students.


Others said:
Lesa's Book Critiques: "[...] Hamilton's illustrations provide an appropriate stark background for the story of Guy Montag [...]"
Reading and Rooibos: "[...] I find it genuinely exciting that the graphic novel format will introduce this story about the dangers of censorship and the power of critical thought to many readers who may not have already encountered the novel."


Natalie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you've done a great job of conveying the overall tone of the artwork in this book! That's one of the things I also find challenging when trying to describe graphic novels or picture books.

Also, thanks for linking to my review! :)

teacherninja said...

Looks cool, thanks.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 This Purple Crayon. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemesfree